This has been one of those weeks when everything happens at once. Let’s try to put things in order.
- My hubby has to work the weekend.
- Friday night, a maintenance guy comes to the door. Water was leaking under the wall of the apartment next door, and he wanted to check our living room for moisture.
- Saturday morning. Water is coming under our living room wall.
- Sunday. Hubby is tired from not getting a break. The maintenance guys of course don’t show up. The wetness is creeping across the living room.
- Monday. Fully half of the living room is now squishy and wet. I attempt to do school.
- This attempt is thwarted by the arrival of maintenance and carpet cleaning. The pipe in the wall had a pinhole in it that was spurting water. We haul all the furniture to the far side of the room. They pull back the carpet, tear out padding, and bring in a fan and a dehumidifier.
- Dehumidifiers are scary.
- They suck every last particle of moisture out of the air, your eyeballs, your mouth, and your nose. You feel like you have a cold, even though you don’t.
- Tuesday, we’re a dessicated, thirsty family. The carpet is nearly dry, though.
- Wednesday, one of the kids “accidentally” bumps the dehumidifier and shuts it off. Instant relief. The carpet is dry. Furniture is moved to its old place. Order is restored. A missing gameboy cartridge is discovered under the high chair’s base. There is rejoicing.
- Thursday: painters put plastic over our windows as they begin painting our building.
As you can see, it’s been a crazy week. I’m looking forward to the weekend, when maybe we can have a break.