Well, it’s starting to look like mermaids are the new vampires.
Even Stephanie Meyer is getting in on it, allegedly. (I’ll bet her writing has improved.) And really, when you think about it, mermaids and vampires are similar.
- Dangerous beings of a different world with the capacity to care about their victims.
- If you become one, you can join them in their world.
- They tend to eat their victims in one way or another.
- They have politics humans know nothing about.
- Half the time there is sex.
Mermaids can go off on pollution and hating humanity for fouling up the oceans, though, which makes me leery of them. I hate environmental preaching because no solution is ever offered aside from “kill all humans”. Vampires at least want to keep us around as a food source. :-p
I have to admit to being curious. That one horrible mermaid book excepted, I haven’t actually read any books about mermaids. I don’t know how they’re being handled, but I’m willing to give it a shot and see if I like it. IO9 says that only girls are interested in mermaids because, let’s face it, The Little Mermaid wasn’t exactly guy-oriented.
The only way I can think of to make mermaids fun for guys is to make it like Jaws. Or more like the fourth Pirates of the Caribbean. (Note the sex corollary up there.)
So, what do you think? Are mermaids the new vampires?